Advocacy Training and Development Program
Event Date : 28-Mar-202310am
Closing at 27-Mar-202311am
Organizer : RSL Vic
Venue : Microsoft Teams
Address : Online
Convenor : Marie-Claire Blin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The objectives of the event are to:
- Assist Compensation Advocates to continue with their professional development in the context of their work with Victorian veterans.
- Increase collaboration and learning amongst Advocates both within RSL Victoria and across the ESO sector.
-Enhance Advocates’ understanding of management of complex cases.
- Increase familiarity with Government compensation legislation (all Acts).
- Increase understanding of psychosocial aspects of veteran wellbeing.
- Increase understanding of the DVA framework for wellbeing in veterans.
- Provide an opportunity to reflect on practice and develop a sophisticated understanding of the role of Advocate in assisting veterans improve their wellbeing.
An Advocate will be invited to share a case study that is complex in nature, either due to legislative aspects or psychosocial aspects
Advocates will be provided a template for presentation of the case (thus improving their presentation skills) and asked to reflect in a balanced way on actions which were and were not successful.
Senior Advocates will provide input on the case in regard to legislation.
The Mental Health Advisor will provide input on the case regarding psychosocial and mental health aspects.
All attendees will be expected to participate, contribute their own experiences with veterans who have similar challenges, and reflect on their experience helping veterans.
This case conference will be delivered via RSL Victoria’s Microsoft Teams application.
This will allow Advocates, paid and volunteer across the State to attend.
All attendees will be required to identify 1-2 areas of Advocacy work where they could try out new ideas raised in the case conference. These will be documented on reflective practice sheets.
Reflective practice sheets will be submitted to one of the Case Conference Chairs for review and included in the Advocates’ CPD log.
Paid Advocates will be required to present one of their cases at least once in the two year period.